Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Apple Season comes early this year.

During the fall, one of my favorite things to do is go apple picking. The thing is that, you usually don't think about apple picking until the crisp, cool air rolls in and the leaves start changing. BUT, apple season actually starts at the end of August. The past two years, I almost missed picking because they had a short season. SO, this year I went early!

I also went back to the first place I ever picked, Highland Orchard in West Chester, PA. I discovered this gem in college. It was great to go back. I also got to go with my sister and mom, so it was a lovely girl bonding day. 

 

Apple picking always starts with donuts. This cider donut was THE BEST one I have ever had. It had just came out of the oven and litereally melted in my mouth! Totally put the numerous ones I bought last year at the farmer's market in NYC to shame.

The main apples that were ready for pick were McIntoch, Jonathan, Smokehouse, and Gala. I was most excited for McIntosh; they are usually one of my favorites, but these lacks that taste they usually had. I took none home with me. Not a problem though because Jonathan and Smokehouse were to die for. Jonathan were a lovely red color and Smokehouse were basically Grannysmith, so it made for a beautiful contrast color story in our box! Gala never wow me so those were left on the trees as well.

It was a fun-filled day of picking as always. Weird being super sweaty while doing it, but I'll take it. There were perks to it being early in the season. We beat the crowds and got to park right up to the trees. Mini got to practice some off-roading :)

Later a delectable apple goodie was made. Here the recipe I used for:

Apple Crisp

Ingredients:
(This serves 8)

- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar 
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
  3. Next add in the butter until mixture is the texture of coarse meal. 
  4. Add oats, and use your hands to toss and squeeze mixture until large, moist clumps form.
  5. Put the mixture in the freezer to chill while you prepare apples.
  6. In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
  7. Peel apples and cut them into 1/2" chunks and toss them in the liquid.
  8. Transfer to a baking dish, and sprinkle with topping mixture. 
  9. Bake for about 55 minutes. 
  10. Enjoy!  

 
Martha helped me with this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment