I've been wanted to try another Lemon Poppy Seed recipe for quite some time. I've been wanting to bake something for quite some time. It has been far too long. Today I finally got in some much needed baking. I tried out Joy of Baking's recipe and am quite pleased with it. I always want to eat some right out of the oven, but this like cornbread, this definitely taste better hours later (or the next day) when it has cooled off and flavors have had time to marinade.
Here's the recipe. The original didn't have lemon juice in it?!?!??! Just lemon zest. That was not going to fly so I added some in!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
3. Zest and juice 1 large lemon or 2 small ones
3. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds
4. In a separate bowl, beat the butter until softened for about 2 minutes
5. Add sugar and beat until fluffy for another 2 minutes.
6. Add in the eggs, one at a time.
7. Add in the lemon juice.
8. Add in flour slowly in about 3 parts.
9. Add in milk and finish off mixing.
Pour batter into the pan and bake for roughly 45 minutes.
The meticulous beating really makes for a great consistency. Enjoy!