Sunday, October 16, 2011
Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
I bought poppy seeds back in June to make muffins and as much as I love muffins, I felt like putting them to a different use with this cookie recipe. If you are a lemon lover, you will love these cookies and their tanginess.
I made this delectable recipe, which was a hit at the Fat Kid's Club meeting, aka Sheena pot luck birthday party.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (2 to 3 lemons)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Simmer lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until reduced by half and then add 1 stick of butter; stir until melted.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, cream remaining stick of butter and 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer.
5. Mix in egg and lemon butter. Mix for about 3 minutes.
6. Then add in vanilla and 2 teaspoons zest.
7. Finally add in flour mixture and poppy seeds.
8. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons zest. Use this to roll spoonfuls of dough in before putting them on cookie sheet.
9. Cook for approximately 11 minutes.
Martha Stewart is to thank for this recipe!