Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Discovery of my love for Eggplant


Guess what? I like eggplant. Just made this discovery recently and now I'm obsessed. I have been buying massive ones big enough to feed a family and eating it all week long. I'm making up for all those years I wasn't eating this delectable veggie. I have been making big batches of baked slices and crafting amazingly good veggie sandwiches!


I have baked them just simply by sprinkling them with oil, salt, and pepper, which is quite nice, but even nicer is breaded eggplant! Topped with cheese! YUM.

Here's my recipe!

Breaded Eggplant  

Ingredients:
 - 1 large eggplant
 - salt and pepper
- 1-2 eggs (depending on how large the eggplant)
- bread crumbs (I used Italian flavored)  

Directions:
1. Slice eggplant crosswise.
2. Place slices on a baking sheet and salt both sides. Let them sit for at least a half hour.
3. Blot and dry off slices with a paper towel.
4. Prepare two bowls; One with bread crumbs and One with the eggs beaten.
5. Dip each eggplant piece in the egg mixture and then in the bread crumbs to cover.
6. Place breaded slices back on the baking sheet.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes on each side at 375 degrees.

For pizza version,
8. After baking 10 minutes, flip the eggplant and add tomato sauce and cheese to the top for the last ten minutes!

For my sandwich above, I also baked zuchinni slices, and topped it with tomato slices and provolone cheese. YUM!

Tips: If you cut the eggplant thick allow more time to cook. I usually try for about 3/8” thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment