Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Crispy Clustered Granola.....Good for snacking!


I really like some of the batches of granola I've made over the years, but I have never made a recipe that resulted in big clusters in the mix. When I'm snacking on granola, I love a good cluster. It is just easier to grab and munch. And aside from eating it for breakfast, I have been snacking on granola, a lot. Carbo loading I guess.

Today I decided to try making a batch with Rice Crispie Cereal in the mix as well. I also read about a method of adding in an egg white for the last ten minutes of baking to help clump the mixture together. This did help some cluster to form woohoo! But I think the one egg white was not enough to mix in with the amount of granola I had so it wasn't all clustery.

Here is today's recipe:

Crispy Clustered Granola

Ingredients:
- 4 cups of Rice Crispie Cereal
- 3 cups of Rolled Oats
- 1 cup chopped Almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg white

Directions:
1. Preheat the over to 275 degrees
2. Combine cereal, oats, nuts, seeds, and baking powder and set aside.
2. Combine oil, honey and sugar in a small sauce pan and heat on medium to low heat until sugar dissolves.
3. Add salt to liquid mixture and then pour over dry mixture and combine.
4. Spread sticky mixture on a sheet pan and bake for an hour.
5. Make sure to stir occasionally. I give the mixture a little stir every 15 minutes.
6. When only ten minutes are left, pour an egg white over the granola and mix to spread it over as much of the granola as possible, then put the pan back in for the last ten minutes to cook.

 

7. After it has cooled add any fruit mixtures you would like to throw in. Today I went with raisins!

Snack on!

No comments:

Post a Comment