Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Homemade granola bars!


Foods that I really like and tend to buy, I like trying to make homemade. I enjoy experimenting with cooking, but more importantly, everything taste better homemade! Granola bars have always been a staple snack for me, so after doing some searching I found this recipe a couple years ago and really liked! Today I made some more and wanted to share!

I have to credit joyfulabode for the recipe idea! I made some alterations to her version and this is what I came up with:

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 cups oats
• 3/4 cup wheat germ
• 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
• 1 cup almonds (or nut of your choice) food processed
• 2/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup honey
• 4 Tbsp butter
• 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
• approximately 8 oz. dried fruit

Directions:

- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix nuts, oats, wheat germ, and sunflower seeds in a baking dish with sides. Toast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Move oat mixture into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Prepare an 11X13 baking dish by lining the bottom with wax paper.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, butter, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.

- Pour sugar mixture over oats and mix well

- Spread mixture in baking dish with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Cut another sheet of wax paper and place on top. Press hard so granola compacts.
- Let granola sit and cool for 2-3 hours
- Remove wax paper and move big bar to a cutting board.
- Cut with a big knife (not sawing)

They taste amazing and I have already eaten way too many today! I have to warn, this time they didn’t stay together perfectly. The original recipe had only 2 cups of oats. This seemed super sticky and wet, so I added another cut. I guess the extra glue is needed to hold them together! I think the best bet would be 2 ½ cups, a happy medium!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love home-making those kinds of things. After learning to make granola, I've never bought it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make granola all the time too! I have my fave granola recipe I plan to post soon!

    ReplyDelete