Caramel lovers here is one for you.
It has been far too long since I have made cupcakes. This recipe incorporates my new favorite apple cider cake into cute cup form and paired with, what better sweet, then caramel.
I made my apple cider bread recipe as is. The recipe yielded 22 cupcakes.
The caramel frosting I made tasted devine. Super sweet and caramel-ly, but it didn’t allow for the presentation I was hoping for. I really like to pile on frosting. This frosting had a more sticky consistency and didn’t have enough body to withstand heights. Caramel is such a sticky texture I don’ t know if this would be possible.
Here’s the recipe for the frosting:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1. Stir sugar and 1/4 cup water in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Increase the heat to medium-high and boil until syrup turns deep amber color. (This took a lot longer then I was expecting. Be patient.)
3. Remove from heat and add cream.
4. Put back over low heat and stir until caramel bits dissolve.
5. In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks
6. Gradually whisk hot caramel into yolks.
7. Let this cool to room temperature.
8. Using electric mixer, beat butter and salt in large bowl until smooth.
9. Add in caramel then powdered sugar and beat until smooth
10. Let stand for about an hour or put in the fridge to frost later.
(Frosting recipe was thanks to Bon Appetit.)