Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Vegetarian Day

Tomorrow, I will celebrate Thanksgiving the traditional way, but today it is a day of getting in tune with my vegetarian side. 

-->
I whipped up a vegetarian Sheppard's Pie with the help of this hilarious website's recipe.  My family was quite pleased with how it came out. I followed the recipe as is, but next time I think I will try making a lighter gravy from scratch. I have never been a big sauce person and the dark color of this gravy esp. freaked me out. The recipe called for Gravy Master, which I thought sounded creepy and was skeptical. Next time I will try without the master.

Here's the recipe:

Vegetarian Sheppard’s Pie

Ingredients:

For Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered length-wise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp milk
For Gravy:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Handful of chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons of gravy master
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
For Filling: 
-1 can of red kidney beans
- 1/2 bag of frozen peas
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
-1 onion, chopped
- Seasonings (I used salt, pepper, parsley, and paprika)

Directions:
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender and then drain.
2. Combine warm cream and melted butter with the potatoes and mash them up.
3. Lastly add milk and season them to taste. I added salt and pepper, as well as some paprika and parsley, but you do your thing.
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
5. Put mash aside and start the gravy by melting butter in a saucepan and adding in onion and garlic. Cook until onions are golden.
6. Stir in the flour and whisk until it makes a paste and becomes smooth.
7. Add in vegetable broth and gravy master, alternating a little bit at a time. Stir and cook until gravy is thickened.
8. Next cook the carrots and onions in a sauté pan.
9. Add in the peas and kidney beans.
10. Finally stir in gravy.
11. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish and then cover with mashed potatoes.
12. Cook for 35 minutes.
13. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment