Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Homemade Apple Cider

 I decided I wanted to try making some homemade apple cider. Cider is hands down my favorite warm beverage. I’m actually really not into warm beverages. I wish I liked them. Nothing sounds better on a cold winter’s night then crawling up by a fire with blankets and a mug of something warm. But such is life; I hate coffee and tea and hot chocolate (unless is it dunks and super milky and sugary.) I more recently discovered I do like Chai tea, but other then that we just have cider.

So tonight I made a batch. It is a lengthy 3 hour process of cooking. It smelt amazing as it simmered. I was so excited to try it with all the anticipation of waiting that long. It came out ok. I think I might have used too much water. The directions called for covering the apples by 2” which I just eye-balled. So my recommendation is to not be generous with the water. I think it would be better to have it be too concentrated because you can always water it down later!
Here is the recipe which was found here:

Homemade Apple Cider

Ingredients:
- 5 apples, quartered
- 3/8 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice

Directions:
1. In a large stockpot and add enough water cover by at least 2 inches. 
2. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and allspice.
3. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 1 hour. 
4. Cover and reduce heat; let simmer for 2 hours.
5. Strain apple mixture, first through a fine mesh sieve then through a cheesecloth lined sieve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment