Friday, June 3, 2011
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins!
I have so many recipes I need to back track and share, but today I tried something totally new: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (My second favorite muffin out there!)
Number 1 being corn. I will soon make my cornbread and share it with you; the recipe that is. This was quite the process taking me a good 6 months and many, many batches to find. There are far too many bad cornbread recipes out there and someone needs to police recipe boards and rid the internet of these! I haven't made any lately, mainly because I am out of cornmeal. I usually have all the other ingredients, so when I have stock of cornmeal, I see it sitting up their in the cupboard and it entices me to make a batch.
Lately, I have fallen into buying muffins when I'm on my way to work. West Side Market has these mini muffins that are so cute and I just can't resist buying one on my way past the bakery to the registers. I don't know what has come over me; I'm usually more for making things homemade and not spending my money out on food, but I have been more impulsive lately and keep buying them. This must stop immediately, so back to baking I must go!
When I came across this posting, I decided I HAD to make lemon poppy seed muffins, since I had never attempted before. Thanks to Ms. Humble this will not be a trial of many attempts. This came out some amazing! Next time I will make it in loaf form and top it off with glaze as she did, but for this batch I wanted to make muffins to have for breakfast the next couple days and the glaze-like frosting would makes it a little more dessert-like and I really should be cutting out some dessert, not adding more starting at 6:30 am!
Her recipe has measurement in grams so I had to do some research and figuring to find the US friendly equivalencies.
Here is the recipe:
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled to slightly warm
¼ cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (roughly two large lemons)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
5/8 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter muffin pan (I made larger muffins, in a 6 muffin pan, and the recipe made 10 muffins)
2. Mix together the cake flour, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
3. In a different bowl, combine the melted butter, cream, lemon juice, zest and poppy seeds and set aside.
4. Get one more bowl dirty and beat the eggs and sugar together with a mixer. Beat until they are very fluffy and light in color (I was beating for aprox. 6 minutes)
5. Fold in flour mixture to eggs mixture until just combined.
6. Add a little bit of this mixture to the wet poppy seed mixture to lighten it up before pouring it in.
7. Finally combine all ingredients.
8. Scoop mixture into pan and slide them into the oven.
9. Let bake for approximately 20 minutes!
Second helping after proper cooling:
I can't not try something right out of the oven. I get very impatient waiting for things to cool!