Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Suzy Homemaker bakes some bread.

My day off today consisted of the following: baking, cooking, sewing, and cleaning. And I never even had the pleasure of taking Home Ec!

I had a date to hang out with Chantale, but she got an awesome freelance gig and needed to postpone. Sooooooo I decided to catch up on some sewing projects, as well as make some homemade whole wheat bread! Two year ago I got a big urge to make bread and suggested that mum and I make some since I never had before and really wanted too. She then informed me she used to make bread all the time. I racked my brain, but couldn't recall this EVER happening!....... Turns out this was when she had more free time, pre-children. Anyways, making bread is super fun and I have made it occasionally since then. I have yet to try other variations, but this one is solid and classic, and allows for a week of scrumptious sandwiches and toast.

Homemade just always taste better!

Here is the recipe:

Whole Wheat Bread

Directions:
1. Combine:
- 1 package of yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
( This can be set aside and the yeast will do its thang!)

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine:
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 cup shortening

3. After wet ingredients are combined in the bowl, add in:
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of white flour

4. Next pour in the yeast mixture and stir everything up. (At this point you are still mixing with a fork or other utensil.)

5. Add in approximately 4 more cups of white flour, 1/2 cup at a time. After about two more cups the dough has gotten thicker and needs to be mixed with your hands. (I only added 3 and 1/4 more today. At that point the dough was in ball form and didn't really want anymore flour)

6. Move the dough to a clean surface for kneading. Knead for 10 minutes until ball is smooth.

7. Shape ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Turn once to grease entire surface. Cover with a towel and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.

BREAK

8. Punch down the dough! Then divide it in half and shape it into two balls. Cover them and let rest for 10 minutes.

9. Shape into loaves and place into 2 lightly greased bread pans and let rise for another 1 1/4 hours.

BREAK

10. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes

11. ENJOY!

Now I have plenty of carbs to load up on for my race tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment